The Expert Patients Programme (EPP) is a self-management programme for people living with a chronic (long-term) condition. The aim is to support people by:
- increasing their confidence
- improving their quality of life
- helping them manage their condition more effectively
What is an expert patient?
Many GPs who care for people with chronic condtions say that the patient often understands the condition better than they do. This is not surprising – many patients become experts as they learn to cope with their chronic conditions.
There is evidence that, with proper support, people with a chronic condition can take the lead in managing their condition. This helps improve their health and quality of life, and reduces their incapacity.
An expert patient is someone who:
- feels confident and in control of their life
- aims to manage their condition and its treatment in partnership with healthcare professionals
- communicates effectively with professionals and is willing to share responsibility for treatment
- is realistic about how their condition affects them and their family
- uses their skills and knowledge to lead a full life
This week we had an email informing us that this programme is due to start this month
Our first Expert Patient Programme has now been booked:
Dates: 19th May to 23rd June ( 6 consecutive Tuesday evenings)
Time: 6pm – 8.30pm
Location: Hanwell Community Centre, Small Meeting Room, Westcott Crescent, Hanwell,
London W7 1PD
Interested participants contact the course provider directly to register interest either calling or emailing as shown above